Below I’ve listed a few ideas from the article “Hollywood Shadow?” by Dana Goodyear. The article about writing was published in the March 21, 2011 issue of the New Yorker.
- Your shadow side is the source of creativity and flow. The shadow is your unpleasant and underdeveloped side. If you can understand your shadow, you can understand anyone’s; and your writing will touch on universal themes, making it more marketable and more personally gratifying.
- Assert your shadow’s right to have something to say.
- Give your shadow the respect it deserves.
- Procrastination is resistance against time.
- Writing is a kind of death.
- Accept the authority of process over external authority.
- Don’t resist process.