Kickstart students to give readings from Who’s Your Family?
Kickstart Your Writing students will read from their recently released anthology Who’s Your Family? at two upcoming readings:
- Wednesday, March 21, 7 p.m.: St. Johns Booksellers, 8622 N. Lombard St., Portland,OR, http://www.stjohnsbooks.com/. Cost: Free.
- Tuesday, March 27, 7 p.m.: Broadway Books, 1714, N.E, Broadway, Portland, OR, http://www.broadwaybooks.net/. Cost: Free.
After each reading, the writers will be available to answer questions. The anthology, a diverse collection of humorous and emotional essays, includes:
- An essay about how the divorce of a young girl’s parents led to a special bond with her dad and the great outdoors.
- A fictional story about a lonely teenager who spends an idyllic summer on Grandma’s farm. What could possibly happen?
- A funny essay about a woman who channels Aunt Bee while coping with young neighbors in a contemporary condo complex.
- All the writers chose to write about their unique and challenging family experiences, whether based on real life or fantasy. Writers revealed learning tough life lessons along the way.